Tuesday 8 September 2009

Love of flight

From aircraft to birds I have always been fascinated by things that fly. This all started in the late 60's, firstly with an Observers Book of Birds, and then an Observers Book of Aircraft. I was about 9 or 10 at the time. For many years my interest was primarily in aircraft, which developed to aircraft spotting (yes, I am a bit of an anorak!) and then aircraft photography. Some may regard aircraft as ugly noisy things but which are a necessity for anyone needing to travel long distances. I am the first to admit my opinion is entirely biased, however whereas some are undoubtedly ugly, and some are certainly noisy, they continue to hold an interest for me some 40 years or more after it was first realised. However in flight, even the huge purpose built military transport aircraft that are perhaps associated with current conflicts show an element of grace, given the right conditions:



This is a US Air Force Lockheed C-5 Galaxy, flying over our house at 34,000 ft earlier this year. It's capable of carrying nearly 400 troops or 75 tonnes of cargo. As this one was heading westbound there's a fair chance it was taking US troops back home after deployment in Iraq or Afghanistan. In my book, a lovely sight, heading as it is towards the setting sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment